LSVT BIG is a research-based exercise approach developed from principles of the effective Parkinson’s specific speech treatment LSVT LOUD.
The LSVT Programs have been developed and scientifically researched over the past 20 years with funding from the National Institutes of Health.
Research on LSVT BIG has documented improved ratings on tests of motor function in people with Parkinson’s Disease following treatment.
- Faster walking with bigger steps
- Improved balance
- Increased trunk rotation
LSVT BIG = BIG Exercise!
Research suggests that you should NOT wait until you begin to experience disability, impaired function or loss of balance to start exercise-based physical therapy.
LSVT BIG techniques train individuals with Parkinson’s Disease and other neurological conditions to use bigger movements anywhere, anytime in daily living. This empowers individuals by teaching them they have to keep moving and stay active.
LSVT BIG is a standardized treatment protocol and is delivered by our LSVT BIG certified physical therapists.
LSVT BIG will help you establish a LIFELONG HABIT of BIG PRACTICE!
LSVT BIG will teach you how to avoid inactivity and keep your movements ALIVE during everyday activities. It will help you participate fully and improve the quality of your life.
To Learn More About LSVT BIG program, call us today at
Reference: LSVT Global, Inc.
Parkinson's disease (PD) belongs to a group of conditions called motor system disorders, which are the result of the loss of dopamine-producing brain cells.
The four primary symptoms of PD are:
- Tremor, or trembling in hands, arms, legs, jaw, and face;
- Rigidity, or stiffness of the limbs and trunk;
- Bradykinesia, or slowness of movement; and
- Postural instability, or impaired balance and coordination.
As these symptoms become more pronounced, patients may have difficulty walking, talking, or completing other simple tasks.
PD usually affects people over the age of 60.
How Physical Therapy Can Help
Parkinson’s Disease affects each patient a little different. Therefore, your physical therapist will perform a thorough evaluation of your condition.
We then develop a personalized treatment plan to help you become as independent as possible and to improve your activity level. Your treatment may address some of these common limitations:
- Improve your fitness level, strength, and flexibility
- Develop more effective strategies to get in and out of bed, chairs, and cars
- Rollover in bed more easily
- Stand and turn to change directions more efficiently
- Improve the smoothness and coordination of your walking
- Improve your ability to perform hand movements
- Decrease your risk of falling
- Climb and descend stairs and curbs
- Participate in activities that are important to you
We are here to help. If you would like to learn more about our Parkinson’s Disease rehabilitation program, please don’t hesitate to give us a call.